Where’s the Monkey?
Yet, some people ask, “If it’s Monday, where’s the monkey?” The answer is that every once in a while I have to step away from my partnership with the “unregenerate ape” in order to pursue other activities.
Have you ever been trying to enjoy a day off from work, or maybe a simple dentist appointment, when you got a phone call asking, “Hey, whatcha doin’?”
Because I’m a popular guy, you see, I get that question all the time. I get calls from work, church, church members, family, friends, would-be friends, friends-of-friends, my kid’s friends, and people who say they know me. They all want to know what I am doing.
What’s more, as a pastor I am always on call, so my cell phone had to be surgically implanted (I won’t say where). Calls come in all the time from people wanting to know what I’m doing, and they always come at a time when I have to lie, like…
- When I am in the section of a store that sells stuff my daughters are too embarrassed to purchase on their own.
- When I am in the bathroom.
- When I am watching a movie when I should be doing something productive, like washing dishes, or killing an elk.
- or, When marriage proves to be more than a friendly relationship.
But if you were to call this week or the next, you’d get the following answers…
- Finishing three six-page papers and one 15 page research paper due by the 11th.
- Finishing another research paper that requires a presentation with Power Point.
- Taking my little girl to do something destructive, like shooting tin cans, or knife throwing.
- Taking my 16-year-old daughter to the recording studio to work on her first project.
- Studying for at least 6 sermons.
- Driving a school bus.
- Writing posts for ProverbialThought.com.
- Recording a radio broadcast.
- Meeting with church staff to map out some future plans.
- Attending my daughter’s last two volley ball games.
- Spending more time in prayer.
- and, trimming my eyebrows.
Whatcha’ NOT Doin’?
What I will not be doing is making any promises to do anything else. Now, according to an email I got the other day, this blog is supposed to be featured on the WordPress “Just Pressed” page. If that actually happens, I’ll be doing a dance in front of my computer, but you will NOT see it.
Most of all, I will not be goofing around with Mr. Monkey for a little while. Not only Mondays, but every other day of the week will be crazy. So, if you call, expect a busy signal.