Listen to the Children
Believe it or not, there are many who swear that true wisdom can be found in the words of young children. Especially in the aftermath of the last school shooting in Florida, political activists are jumping on the opportunity to drag them to state capitals and the White House.
Forget the need for a lifetime of experience…forget that the ones to whom some of these teens are mouthing off to have more security clearances than the Avengers…forget the idea of listing to one’s elders…listen to the wisdom of those who just learned to wear pull-ups and cut their own meat.
If we did what they wanted us to do – listen to the children – what would the world, or at least our country be like?
* No one would ever work … except those who need to work so that others would not have to work.
* Every day would be Christmas, Halloween, and summer vacation … as long as someone else buys the gifts, provides the candy, and drives them to the beach.
* There would be peace on earth and no more wars … except when someone disrespects you or takes your candy.
* Everything should be available for the asking whenever it is wanted … as long as we don’t have to be the ones providing it for someone else.
* There would be no need for multiple television channels … only Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, or Netflix (when not watching internet porn on smartphones, or sexting each other before hooking up).
* Everyone would have everything they always wanted, whether they needed it, or not … and still act like brats that never get anything they want and are always mistreated.
* No one would ever eat at home, only restaurants … then complain about their weight.
* Education, if desired, would be determined by what the child thought was important … like “Queer Translation (UC Berkeley 250)” and “The Sociology of Miley Cyrus: Race, Class, Gender, and Media (Skidmore College).” Don’t believe me? Just Google it.
* Teachers, Doctors, Policemen, School Teachers, and Ministers would be disrespected and maligned … while movie stars, rap and rock stars, and vulgar athletes would be deified.
* Animals would be considered equal with humans … except when it came to leather clothing and Happy Meals.
* Hate would be outlawed … unless you’re a policeman, a member of the NRA, a conservative Christian, or if you dare disagree with a crumb-crunching skull full of impressionable Silly Putty.
Wait! Maybe the children are already in charge!