Happy April Fools Day!…or, happy Atheists Day!…whichever you prefer.
You know, even though atheists think we are being smug and “snarky” by quoting Psalm 14:1, I believe the one who insists there is no God really is a fool.
But what I think matters little in the scheme of things. What matters is what God thinks.
That is why I came up with this list.
Defining a Fool
What is a fool? Believe it or not, Scripture lists several characteristics of a foolish person. The following is not an exhaustive list, but it’s a good start.
So, why not do this Jeff Foxworthy-style?
You might be a fool if…
- You are always right in your own eyes (Proverbs 12:15).
- You despise instruction (Proverbs 1:7; 15:5).
- You are unteachable (Proverbs 17:10; 23:9; 26:11)
- You’re always running your mouth, getting into trouble (Proverbs 18:6-7; 29:11).
- You are always trying to find yourself (Proverbs 18:2).
- You make fun of sin (Proverbs 14:9).
- You’re always meddling in other people’s business (Proverbs 20:3).
- You are a shame and a burden to your parents (Proverbs 17:25).
- You deny the obvious because the truth is inconvenient (Romans 1:18-22).
- You deny Jesus because you think the cross is foolish (1 Corinthians 1:18).