April Fools Day
In 2012 I actually got to preach a sermon on April Fools Day. Since today is a Saturday, and I’m not a Seventh Day Adventist, I will have to wait a little longer for the opportunity to return. However, today’s post will give you a head’s up for what I will be preaching come Sunday morning April 2nd.
So, happy April Fools Day!…or, happy Atheists Day!…whichever you prefer.
You know, even though atheists think we are being smug and “snarky” by quoting Psalm 14:1, I believe the one who thinks there is no God really is a fool. But what I think matters little in the scheme of things. What matters to me is what God thinks. That is why I came up with a list.
What is a Fool?
What is a fool? Believe it or not, Scripture lists several characteristics of a foolish person. The following is not an exhaustive list, but it’s a good start. So, why not do this Jeff Foxworthy-style?
You might be a fool if…
- You are always right in your own eyes (Proverbs 12:15).
- You despise instruction (Proverbs 1:7; 15:5).
- You are unteachable (Proverbs 17:10; 23:9; 26:11)
- You’re always running your mouth, getting into trouble (Proverbs 18:6-7; 29:11).
- You are always trying to find yourself (Proverbs 18:2).
- You make fun of sin (Proverbs 14:9).
- You’re always meddling in other people’s business (Proverbs 20:3).
- You are a shame and a burden to your parents (Proverbs 17:25).
- You deny the obvious because the truth is inconvenient (Romans 1:18-22).
- You deny Jesus because you think the cross is foolish (1 Corinthians 1:18).