I was scrolling through some older posts and came across the one you are reading right now (that’s freaky, isn’t it?). It was a post about getting awards from other bloggers, but then having to nominate a bunch of other bloggers to make it all official.
What I said back then is still true today… that’s too much work for an award, don’t you think?
Seriously, what other kind of award demands that in order to receive it you’ve got to nominate 10 others? Can you imagine an Oscar winner being handed the statue, but before it exchanged hands the winner had to nominate 10 other actors? Can you imagine the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize having to nominate 10 others before receiving his mostly undeserved, politically motivated award money?
Honestly, there are many blogs better than mine (your’s is probably one of them). If I deserve an award, they all do.
Things Heretofore Unknown
Another requirement of many blogging awards is that the recipient list 8 or 10 things heretofore unknown (things you didn’t know about the blogger). But as I began thinking about a list like that, a mental image of a creepy identity thief came to mind.
So, I’m gonna do something a little different. I am going to list 10 things about myself that I wish were true.
In other words, I wish the following list would rise up and wake me out of my slumber, smack me in the face, and say, “You da man!”
10 Things about Myself (I Wish Were True)
- I wake up every morning with a smile on my face.
- I am fluent in three biblical languages, not including KJV.
- I love all forms of exercise, including running, mountain climbing, skydiving, and especially curling (the Winter Olympic version of shuffle board).
- I have every sermon planned in advance, outlined and alliterated, filled with perfect illustrations, by Friday night each week…6 months in advance.
- I never lose my temper.
- I handle all the finances in our household, never make a late payment, and never have to ask my wife for advice.
- I love cottage cheese.
- George W. Bush once asked to speak with me about some personal matters, but I referred him to Billy Graham, being that I already had a date planned with my wife.
- My book is on the New York Times best-seller list.
- I never sin.
The Worthy One
When I consider the above list one things stands out to me more than anything: I’m not perfect. But hey, I don’t claim to be, either. I mess up, get angry, act out of pride and my own self-interests, and generally fall short in every list I create. In short, I’m a sinner.
But even though I am a sinner, I have a Savior. And because of His mercy and love, the kind of love that took what I deserved and carried it all the way to Calvary, I echo the words to a wonderful song, “Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be to You the only wise King.”
I may receive a few awards, but one day I will lay every accolade, every award,every trophy, every crown at Jesus’ feet. He is the One who really deserves them.
If you never know anything else about me, I hope you know I love Jesus.
Note: For some reason I haven’t received anymore blogger awards since I first wrote this back in April of 2014. Wonder why? 😦