If there was only one thing I had to say I honestly miss about living in Chattanooga, it’s the INTERNET SPEED!
On the other hand, our internet speeds in this part of the state of Georgia are dreadfully slow compared to what I’ve been used to:
- “First, fastest, least expensive internet access in US.” — New York Times
- 50 times the US average internet speed
To refresh, that’s a GIGABIT, as opposed to a max of 25MB per second here in Warthen!
Hey, Governor Kemp! The Kaolin Belt needs fiber optics!
But the point of this post is not internet speeds – it’s about New Year resolutions and a sermon I preached this last Sunday morning … of which I only managed to record 1 second of the audio!
So, what I did was go to my office, today, and record a “recap” of the sermon, thereby replacing the lost sermon for my archives.
You can watch the video (only 11 minutes) or look at the outline, or both. Regardless, here are some “Questions to Ask When Making a New Year’s Resolution.”
Questions to Ask When Making a New Year’s Resolution
(Isaiah 50:7; Luke 9:51, 12:50; Acts 20:24)
1. Do I NEED to make any resolutions?
“There is nothing so fatal to character as half-finished tasks.” – David Lloyd George
2. What has God called me to do? (John 6:38)
“Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.” – John 4:34
3. Where will I be at this time next year if nothing changes?
“You don’t drown by falling into water. You only drown if you stay there.” – Zig Ziglar
4. Will I be willing to be held accountable? (Ecc. 4:9-12)
- It is in our nature to NOT want accountability
- James 5:15 “confess your faults one to another”
- Proverbs 27:17 “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpeneth another”
5. Will my determination be visible?
Samuel Adams – “We have proclaimed to the world our determination ‘to die freemen, rather than to live slaves.’ We have appealed to Heaven for the justice of our cause, and in Heaven we have placed our trust.”
6. Will I rely on my own strength?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble – Psalm 46:1
7. To WHOM will the glory go when I succeed?
“And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” – Col. 3:23
8. Is the JOY worth the PAIN?
“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” – Hebrews 12:2 KJV
Will Rogers – “Pain is such an uncomfortable feeling that even a tiny amount of it is enough to ruin every enjoyment.”
William Penn – “No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown.”