I just want to illustrate how spoiled we are with a simple story.
One morning not too long ago I woke up a little late and had to get ready to go to work. Because I woke up late, I didn’t have time to fix any breakfast, not even a cup of coffee. Needless to say, that made me a little irritated.
I was short with my wife, who I woke up shortly after me, because I couldn’t find her purse. I needed at least a dollar or two to buy cup of coffee that morning, because, I mean, seriously, it was going to be another two hours before I could get a cup of coffee at home. All I was asking for was a cup of coffee…not breakfast…I could eat breakfast in a couple of hours.
So, a little later there I was, sitting on the school bus, waiting for my next route, knowing it was going to be a couple of hours before having a cup coffee, or anything to eat… and I was irritated.
How do I know I was (and am) spoiled? I was acting all upset when I should have been thankful!
I woke up.
- I was able to get out of bed.
- I woke up in a house, not a box.
- My wife is alive and still living with me.
- I had running water.
- I’m fully dressed.
- I have a job.
- I have a bottle of clean water to drink, which is more clean water than a lot of people see in a lifetime.
- I only had to wait two hours for a cup of coffee and some food when some people may have to wait two days…or more.
- I’m writing all of this on a computer. I have a computer with internet, unlike millions of people. I don’t have to take a crowded bus into town just to use the internet.
So, there you have it…simply spoiled and ungrateful. God forgive me! God have mercy on us all!