I don’t know what it is about Monday mornings and the questions kids want to ask while I am driving. Something must happen over the weekends which cause children to seek wise counsel from the school bus driver.
One question I got the other day was just too big for me. I mean, seriously, I laughed, shook my head, and ignored the kindergartner. He asked, “Mr. Baker, why is the world so big?” If I had answered truthfully and said, “Because that’s the way God made it,” then I would have been fired. So, since I couldn’t think of anything overly stupid with which to respond, I stayed silent.
However, this morning, there was a question I had to answer. This morning a young girl got on the bus and asked, “Mr. Baker, do you know the secret to living a long life?” “Well, there are several secrets, but what’t the one you know?”
“Play the harmonica,” she replied.
“Play the harmonica?”
“Yes,” she said matter-of-factly. “Because playing the harmonica will help your lungs, and strong lungs will help you live longer.”
“Is that so?” I asked. “Yep,” answered the little girl.
“Well,” I replied, “my daddy played the harmonica, and he’s dead.”
OK, so I’ve never been convicted for the over use of tact. Sometimes I am too brutally honest for my own good (so my wife says). Other times, however, I can be sweet and compassionate – just not this morning, evidently.
Anyway, this morning’s question got me to thinking. Could I come up with some secrets for living a long life?
10 Secrets to Living a Long Life (by someone who hasn’t yet died):
- Never pull the trigger when it’s pointed at you.
- Never smoke more than 3 cigars in an hour.
- Never jump from a moving vehicle if it’s moving through the air.
- Never corner a rock badger.
- Drink at least 3 glasses of something a week.
- Eat food.
- Don’t drive drunk, or with a teenage girl with directional issues.
- Breath regularly, except in the tourist’s bathroom at the Bush’s Baked Bean factory.
- Hide all sharp objects, scissors, and ammunition before going to bed with an angry wife.
- Drink excessive amounts of coffee.
Now that you have my secrets for living a long, not necessarily healthy, life, what does the Bible say about long life? What kind of “secrets” can we find hidden in that wonderful book of Wisdom?
5 Biblical Secrets to Long Life
- Obey and honor your parents (Deut. 5:16; Eph. 6:1-3).
- Don’t mess around with another person’s spouse (Prov. 6:29-35).
- “Keep my commandments, and live…” (Prov. 7:2).
- “Forsake the foolish, and live…” (Prov. 9:6).
- Repent of your sins and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior – that’s the secret to ETERNAL life (John 3:15-16; 10:28; Rom. 6:23).
So, what are your secrets to living a long life? Do you have any more to share with us? Leave them in the comment section so we can all learn to live a little longer 😉