Store vs. Home
There are some things that are better bought from a store than made at home. I know saying that will make some people angry, but it’s true. I can think of a few things right off the bat…
- Captain Crunch Cereal – I especially like Crunch Berries.
- Peanut Butter – sure, you can make it at home, but it gets nasty after a while.
- Crackers – has anyone ever made a cracker better than a Nabisco Saltine?
- Nilla Wafers – another winner from Nabisco. Put peanut butter on these and it’s the closest thing to manna from heaven.
- Instant Coffee – have you ever tried to freeze-dry your own?
Last week we celebrated the twelfth birthday of our little Kung Fu queen, Haley. For her party she wanted a cake to coincide with her selected “Ip Man” theme (Ip Man was famous for introducing Wing Chun to the world). We had her picture made on rice paper for decoration, but the best part was the icing.
When it comes to cake icing, my wife makes the best in the world. And so do I – ’cause I used her recipe. She baked the cake for the party, but I mixed the icing.
Because the cake was fairly large, I had to make a large bowl of icing, part of which needed to be colored pink.
Home Made vs. Canned
You can buy decent cake icing from a store, but it doesn’t even come close to the flavor and quality of what can be made at home. My wife’s cream cheese icing is smoother, creamier, tastier, and moist-ier. As a matter of fact, her icing can even make a bad cake taste better, saving the baker from embarrassment.
If you’d like the recipe, just email me. I’d love to hear from you. Then, come back here to let everyone know how good it actually is.