Why is it that so many place such a high premium on what children say? Why should we “listen to the children?” Sure, every once in while they say something cute or insightful, but on a regular basis? Get real. They may be short, but we’re not talking about Yoda. Youth is not a prerequisite to wisdom.
Buy Your Own House
This morning I was driving my bus full of children and one decided to share his “wisdom” with me. According to this young man, a fifth grader, it was better to not buy a house together, or share your money with your wife (if you get married). Why? “Because your wife may end up becoming a prostitute and kick you out and make you pay alimony.”
I can only pray for that poor boy. Where is he learning that stuff? Is this what he thinks of all women? Is this what he thinks of marriage? What kind of future do we have if kids like that keep growing up and taking over? He is definitely NOT a child I want to listen to.
If Children Ruled the World
But there are those who swear that true wisdom can be found in the words of young children. Forget the need for a lifetime of experience, listen to the wisdom of those who just learned to wear pull-ups and cut their own meat. If we did what the bleeding-hearts wanted us to do – listen to the children – where would we be right now?
* No one would ever work, except those that need to work so that others would not have to work.
* Every day would be Christmas, Halloween, and summer vacation.
* There would be peace on earth and no more wars – except when someone disrespects you or takes your candy.
* Everything should be available for the asking whenever it is wanted, as long as we don’t have to be the ones providing it for someone else.
* There would be no need for multiple cable channels, only Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, ESPN, and The Twilight Channel.
* Everyone would be able to walk around and have everything, while complaining that they are mistreated.
* No one would ever eat at home.
* Education, if desired, would be determined by what the child thought was important.
* Teachers, Doctors, Policemen, School Teachers, and Ministers would be disrespected and maligned, while movie and rock stars would be deified.
* Animals would be considered equal with humans.
* Hate would be outlawed; that is, unless someone disagreed with you.
* Church would be nothing but fun and games, with cookies for all to enjoy.
Wait! Maybe the children are already in charge!