Don’t Be Shocked
I know that the title may come as a shock to many of you, but don’t be too shocked, at least not yet. I have been talking about men and women flirting over the last couple of days, but as I told you, there was a method to my madness.
You might be saying, “And if you say God is a flirt, then you are truly mad, you crazy fool!” But please, hear me (or read me) out. “Flirting” might not be the best word, but what about “wooing”? If not a flirting God, surely He woos us all the time.
Now, just in case you think I am crazy, let me share with you one of my favorite verses from one of my favorite books in the Bible, Hosea.
“I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.” – Hosea 11:4 KJV
With metaphor God explains to the prophet Hosea how He has gone the extra mile to win over His people’s love. That, after all, is the message portrayed by Hosea’s pursuit of Gomer (that’s his wife’s name) as she runs from lover to lover. God would much rather win our love than divorce (judge) us.
When I think of the first part of that verse, the words “cords of a man” become “heart strings.” In other words, in order to win our affections, God is doing everything He can to “pull our strings,” or at least the emotional strings of our hearts. Cool, huh?
Signs of Wooing
As with the last two posts, I’d like to consider some ways in which God might “flirt” with us. In other words, God might be wooing you if…
- You wake up earlier than you wanted, but see the most beautiful sunrise of your life.
- You decide to give up on life, only to have an email pop up showing someone worse off than you.
- It seems that there is no meaning in life, but then you hear a baby cry, or your child says, “I wuv you.”
- In the dark, late at night, you find yourself crying, but a warmth you can’t explain wraps around you, cradling you to sleep.
- You find yourself feeling like a failure, worthless and dirty, then from out of nowhere comes a verse you learned in Sunday School: “For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son…”
Do I need to go on? Is He pulling the strings of your heart? Will you respond to His advances?
He does love you!