Because I just commented on a post by a fellow blogger who believes one can lose his salvation, I am re-posting this sermon outline.
The following is an outline I used a couple of years ago. It starts off with some arguments against the “once-saved-always-saved” position. The next part lists six basic arguments in favor of the eternal security of the believer.
Of course, this is only an outline, not the sermon. However, you can click below for a link to the audio.
Arguments Against “Once Saved, Always Saved”
- Observational – How people live that believe it.
- Free Will – We are created with a will; we’re not slaves.
- Scriptural (Hebrews 6; 1 John 3:9; 5:18)
Arguments FOR “Eternal Security”
- Creational Argument: We are New Creations (2 Cor. 5:17)
- It took a supernatural act to change us
- We can’t act supernaturally to change us back
- New Birth Argument: We are Born Again (John 3:7,16)
- By the Spirit – Jn 3:6
- By the Word of God – 1 Peter 1:23
- We are not God, so we must remain “born again”
- Children of God Argument
- Born that way – 1 John 5:1; 1 Peter 1:23
- Adopted – Rom. 8:15; Gal. 4:5; Eph. 1:5
- Abba – Gal. 4:1-7
- The Possession Argument – We belong to Christ
- Purchased – 1 Cor. 6:19-20; 7:23 (Bought with a Price)
- Given by the Father – Jn. 6:37-40; 10:28-30
- Will never be separated – Rom. 8:35-39
- Romans 14:8 – For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.
- He can keep what is His – 2 Tim. 1:12 “…for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” See also: 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve [me] unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- The Marriage Argument
- Ephesians 5:25-28, 31-32 – Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church…This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
- He is faithful, even when we are not.
- 2 Timothy 2:11-13 “…if we believe not, yet he abideth faithful…”
- He is God, not man! – Hosea 11:7-9
- It’s a Gift
- 2:8-9 Gift of God, by grace
- Romans 11:29 KJV – For the gifts and calling of God [are] without repentance (irrevocable)
Click on the link below to listen to the audio. As you might be able to tell by the opening remarks, I believe it was a sermon we needed, but the devil was opposing. Nevertheless, hearts were encouraged.